This year the theme is "Eat Right with Color". Nutritional benefits are more varied with the more color you can add to your plate. The colors associated with what's on your plate have vitamins and minerals and other nutrients to keep you healthy.
Each color is associated with having beneficial components:
- Blue/Purple: anthocyanins & pheonlics which help to lower the risk of some cancers, are good for healthy aging, memory function, and urinary tract health
- Green: lutein and indoles-help to promote strong bones, teeth, and vision health
- White: includes the phytochemical called allicin. It promotes heart health, helps maintain cholesterol levels that are with in the normal range, and may reduce the risk of some cancers
- Yellow/Orange: vitamin C and phytonutrients like carotenoids and bioflavonoids which are beneficial for vision and heart health and a healthy immune system
- Red: contains phytonutrients lycopene and anthocyanins which promote heart and urinary tract health and memory function
Try focusing in on trying a new fruits or vegetables this month to help increase variety in your everyday diet for optimal nutrition. You might find a few more foods that you enjoy-just because you were able to experiment!
For fruit and vegetable recipes or other information-click HERE to go to the "fruits & veggies more matters" website!