- 80 calories per cup of canned pumpkin or 5 per TBSP (Like the Libby's Canned Pumpkin)
- Rich in minerals: copper, manganese, zinc, iron, selenium, magnesium
- 19% Daily Value for Vitamins C, 10% Daily Value for E & riboflavin
- Contains 5.125 mg beta carotene (a form of Vitamin A)-found in orange fruits/vegetables
- Rich in cartonetoids: lutein & zeaxanthin-associated with eye health and reduced risk of cataracts
- 1 cup has 564 mg of Potassium-more than a banana!
- 4g protein (4g) & fiber (10g) per cup
- Botanically it is a fruit
- Is a winter squash
- A typical pumpkin contains 90% water
- 80% of the US pumpkin supply is available in October
- Pick pumpkins that are firm & heavy for their size
- Pumpkin seeds are high in protein, manganese, magnesium, & phosphorus and also contain heart healthy mono- & polyunsaturated fats. (1/4 cup seeds toasted in oil = 190 calories)
- 1.1 Billion is the number of pounds of pumpkins annually produced in the U.S.
- Top producing states: Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, & California
- More than 90% of the pumpkins grown in the U.S. are for canned pumpkin
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
Pumpkin is Healthy; Here are the Facts!
Pumpkins not only make great Jack-O-Lanterns, but they also are a great addition to a healthy meal plan!